Friday, May 05, 2006

To My Child

Just for this morning,
I am going to smile when I see your face and laugh when I feel like crying.

Just for this morning,
I will let you choose what you want to wear, and smile and say how perfect it is.

Just for this morning,
I am going to step over the laundry and pick you up and take you to the park to play.

Just for this morning,
I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.

Just for this afternoon,
I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.

Just for this afternoon,
I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck,
and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon,
I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or
second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.

Just for this afternoon,
I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them.

Just for this evening,
I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.

Just for this evening,
I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.

Just for this evening,
I will let you stay up late while we sit together on the porch and count all the stars.

Just for this evening,
when I run my fingers through your hair,
I will simply be grateful that God Almighty has given me the greatest gift ever given.

I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children,
the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of their bedroom.

The mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer
senselessly and screaming inside; that they can't handle it anymore.

WhenI kiss you tonight I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer.
It is then, that I will thank Allah for having you, and ask him for nothing, except one more day. . .


The 29 year old author wrote this poignant personal letter when doctors informed him that
his only child, aged 10 years old was diagnosed with brain cancer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asalama Alaykum.
Masha Allah! This is the sweetest poem I have ever read..it is just perfect...It brought tears to my eyes. You are right we have to appreciate what Allah gave us as a blessing instead of always asking for more.

Anonymous said...

Testing...
Jazakallah, a beautiful poem indeed.

Edward Ott said...

The poem is truely moving.

Salam

Unknown said...

So moving.. so touching.. and utterly genius! the flow of emotions in the poem can't be anything but true, real and genuine.. one of the poems that rendered me speechless and made my breath catch in my throat. May Allah have mercy on the tormented sould that wrote it, and the child in pain as well. Amen.

Anonymous said...

mashallah, it is a very sweet poem, may allah help the child, and those children who's parents are having to go through the same thing.
Ameen

Anonymous said...

mashallah this poem made me cry
this poem is beutiful in everyway possible

Anonymous said...

'im crying now as I'm posting this..Ya Allah! how i've been blessed by You with the gift of a child. Taking care of them is ibadah itself...