Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Modern Woman

I am a woman of the 21st century, a woman of today, of now and here
Far, far removed from my great-great-great grandmother of yesteryear
Not only in terms of the time span, but in the social, political, technological conditions
Emancipated, liberated, unhampered and free; I am a totally new edition!!
Would not she begrudge me my elevated position!
Wrested from men with tooth and nail
The battle of the sexes is indeed beyond the pale

Intellectually, physically and politically on longer am I to men, inferior
Injustice, oppression with such virtues did they maintain a position superior
No longer am I tied to the kitchen sink
No, verily I am now certainly in the pink!
Not worried about having babies; it was such a big strain
On my attractive figure, on my wit, my intellect and my brain
Oh! I've climbed on to the paid workers train
I can claim a respectable title to my name
I can climb the highest mountain, dive into the deepest seas
Pursue every dream, every aspiration with equal facility and ease
In every field, every endeavour have I achieved fame

I am a doctor, a scientist, an inventor, an engineer
The equality of my brain power, men do fear
A philosopher, a lawyer, a judge am I
No men can deny the quality of my decisions, even hard if they try
No longer am I exempt from any profession or position
To my undoubted ability, my suitability I brook no opposition!
A soldier, a sailor, a politician, even the highest of the high
Aspirations to rule, to be president within my reach lie
Enabling me like men, to be brutal and crooked
To have no concerns over the people who are thus crushed and booted
Brawn power is no longer men's exclusive domain
A wrestler, a boxer, a trucker I can be
No longer playing second fiddle to men, as you can clearly see

Is there a limit to my monumental rise?
No, certainly not - why have I worked this wise?
Anything men can do, I can do better
Not equality, but superiority is what I seek
My just deserts, the fruits of my success I shall reach

And all have I gained without any expense?
Alas, no that has not been the case in any sense
Increasingly, I wonder and wonder
If into man's hands have I not played in this war of the gender
As I see myself in the bare minimum, artistically draped
Over an automobile, a boat, or any such saleable commodity
Constrained into a figure, a size, a style that men have shaped
Never questioning this new form of abuse - what an oddity!
Advertising chewing gum in my cleavage
Using my body for such small paltry gains
Fallen and cheapened myself all by a ploy
Of the men who use subtle and sophisticated new techniques to oppress and suppress
Intellectually reduced to a meaningless toy
Only on my physical attributes do they place undue stress
I sometimes think, have I been such a fool
With my own free will, allowed men to use me as a tool
For my own degradation, my own depravity - Oh! would that I could cry!!
So bereft of any honour and shame am I;

Victimised at work and at play; verily on every ground
The rape and harassment statistics truly do astound
My mental health has fallen by the wayside
With stimulants, drugs and worse, my agitation do I hide
My quest to retain my youthful body; an illusion, an illustration
Of a commodity for men's gratification
Severe dieting, the health club are my religion
The plastic surgeon's knife is but a small pain
To evade the wrinkles, the grey hair and sagging breasts to train
The stress is killing me; Oh! that I could just enjoy
Self-esteem and respect for myself as a person, not as a toy
Oh! that the joys of motherhood were valued at the right price
So I could turn my back on this "progress" without thinking twice
And revert to my honoured role in the confines of my own warm sweet home

No comments: